I was a baking fool today. I made an awesome Summer Strawberry Cake and baked a big batch of cookies. My boyfriend takes his lunch to work, so I try to add homemade goodies to his lunch box as often as I can. At the grocery store today, we picked up a big bag of M&M’s that were destined to join a batch of peanut butter cookie dough. I just adapted a standard peanut butter cookie recipe from allrecipes.com, and added M&M’s. I used Crisco butter flavored shortening, because I had it, and I didn’t have any butter at room temperature when I wanted to make these, but feel free to use butter, or a combination of butter and shortening.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 cup shortening (or butter)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 bag of M&M’s (I used a 14 oz bag)
- Cream together shortening, peanut butter and sugars in your stand mixer. Add eggs and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed butter in 3 batches.
- Stir in (by hand) the M&M’s. If you use your mixer to do this, you’ll break up the M&M’s into a hot mess.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and put on baking sheets. Flatten each ball slightly with the palm of your hand. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until cookies begin to brown. Do not over-bake.